You’ve planned for your newborn session and chose your favorite photographer, and I’m honored by your choice! On top of that, you’ve taken advantage of my best-kept secret and claimed a complimentary maternity session as well.
Like many of my clients, you may not have even considered having these photos taken until I offered them to you. Now you’ve got some questions!
The most common, two-fold, question would have to be: what should I bring to my maternity session; how do I prepare?
How to Prepare
You’re a woman who plans in advance and you want to make sure you don’t forget anything crucial. Here are a few things you can do to get ready for your maternity photo session to help capture that soft, feminine, and romantic look.
- Book a Manicure – The day before your maternity session is the perfect time to get your nails done. Because your hands will be featured prominently in many of these photos, you want them looking their best! I recommend choosing a pale color or clear polish.
- Pick Out Your Lingerie – I recommend a white, cream, or a light-colored neutral bra and panty set. Something pretty and soft. It’s best to plan a few days to a few weeks in advance for this one. You don’t want to be stressing out the day of trying to find something. Maybe a shopping trip is called for?!
- Clothing Selections – For any clothing choices, you are welcome to bring what you love and makes you feel comfortable. At a loss? Don’t worry, because I’ve got you covered! My studio wardrobe has an extensive collection of dresses and robes for you to choose from. Want to come to the studio to try stuff on before your session? No problem! Just let me know and we’ll find a time.
The Day of Your Maternity Session
A few more tips to help you look your best on the day of:
- Wear Loose Clothes – These photos are going to be very intimate, so your skin should look its best too. Make sure to wear loose-fitting clothes the morning of to protect your skin. Tight clothes and/or elastics can create lines or creases in your skin that we want to avoid.
- Bring Lotion – Dry skin happens to all of us. Stash a bottle of lotion in your bag to make your belly skin glow again!
- Have fun! – Try to relax and enjoy this time. I know, that’s a tall order! It’s hard to be on the other side of the camera. Don’t worry about needing to know what to do, or how to pose, I’ll guide you through the process.
Ready to pack your bag, but almost no idea what you’ll need or want? I asked the new moms I’ve worked with recently, and you’ll be surprised by some of the things they said.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE CHECKLIST